Thursday, April 06, 2006

Why is this man smiling?

He’s smiling because although you can chase the crook out of office, he still gets paid and he still gets his health care benefits. If DeLay is telling the truth (what a concept) about his intention to resign from Congress in a couple of months, he’s not going to have to go looking for honest employment or cancel any appointments with his expensive hair dresser or makeup artist. Even if he’s convicted of a crime in Texas, he will still get his pension of about $67,000 and his free health care. As we know. Most Americans aren’t so lucky and especially those who haven’t stolen anything.

Of course he’s been making a salary of $180,000 and who knows how much more that’s less visible and $67,000 isn’t a lot for a man with Tom’s tastes. He's going to have to continue to absorb money from other sources, but as he said to the Houston Chronicle today, he intends to go to work for “Conservative causes.” I’m sure he will and I’m sure he will continue to prosper from his crimes in the most conservative fashion.

6 comments:

Chris the Hippie said...

$67k is roughly three times what I earn, forty hours a week. I'm college educated, and I'm the director of my department.

Where did I go wrong? Was it when I actually believed that crime doesn't pay? Evidently it pays about $67k a year, eh?

I'm sad. Very, very sad.

Capt. Fogg said...

I'm sure that $67K is only a small part of what he will earn with speaking engagements and BS books blaming Liberals for everything and lobbying contracts and who knows what else.
Look at the lifestyles of most of these peoole and it's obvious they aren't living off their salaries.

That education and hard work is the key to success in America is a myth, I think.
Lie, cheat and steal seems to work a lot better, as long as you have the Party on your side.

phinky said...

Hah, $67,000 is income a family needs to "get by" in Northern Virginia which is where he is now living. But, he'll probably supplement his pension with lobbying deals. I hope he goes to jail for a loooong time so he can't engage in anything to supplement his pension. A townhouse sells for $800K up here. Can't afford a that mortage on $67K a year.

Mind you, I'm not excusing what's he's done. But I think his family would do much better on $67 if they moved back to Texas.

Capt. Fogg said...

The properly connected can always get a special deal on a mortgage, but yes, I hope the State of Texas gives him free accomodations for the nest 20 years or so.

But I'm ot holding my breath.

mrsleep said...

Hard work will always pay off in this country, but there are always those that lie, cheat, and steal to get ahead.

Let's see how this plays out.

The $67K due the man is but pocket change relative to the income stream he is likely to generate from other sources.

Capt. Fogg said...

Unlike old soldiers, old Congressmen seem to slither under rocks and get rich rather than to fade away. I hope a long jail sentence gets in the way of his plans.