Thursday, August 03, 2006

Unsafe at any dosage?

Many of the important components of my American car were made abroad; brake calipers, traction control, yaw control and ABS computers and probably some other electronics.  My Wife’s American car was entirely assembled in Mexico, and even though I live in an agricultural State, much of the food I buy at the supermarket comes from abroad. So when the drug industry representatives in Washington tell us that we can’t import drugs from Canada, even if they’re made in the US, because it just isn’t safe, I tend to think unkind thoughts.

Last Winter, Federal agents, or the enforcement arm of industrial interests, if you prefer, began confiscating packages of medications sent from Canada and intended for US customers.  Florida Senator Bill Nelson is circulating a petition by e-mail today asking recipients to back new legislation designed to “ease the ban on the importation of prescription drugs from Canada.”  

Seniors most affected are those living on fixed incomes who depend on cheaper Canadian medications to make ends meet” the letter informs me.  I already know.  I’m not quite ready to be called Senior and I certainly don’t lack the means to pay for the few medications my doctor insists that I take, but as my monthly charges at CVS are more than the monthly cost of upkeep, fuel and dockage of my cabin cruiser, I none the less feel that something is out of balance.  For some people, that extra decade of life that medication might provide is just too expensive.  In the new voodoo prosperity the Republican kleptocrats have given us, “some people” translates to millions of people whose future lies in decreasing the surplus population.

The lobbyists have a good chance of shooting down the bill and their record demonstrates their power.  It wouldn’t hurt to let your Senator know that you support the Senate version of the bill, assuming that you do support it.  It wouldn’t hurt to vote the Republicans out of office this November either.


  

2 comments:

Intellectual Insurgent said...

Boeing allows parts for its planes to be made in China, but we can't get meds from Canada?

Priceless. Just priceless.

Chris the Hippie said...

I've quit taking most of my meds. Can't afford 'em...