Friday, December 15, 2006

Call me obsolete

The new American – what is he like? According to the US Census Bureau’s 2007 Statistical Abstract of the United States to be published today, the 21st Century edition of Homo Sapiens Americanus is taller, fatter and much more likely to be seen sipping like an infant from a bottle: ten times more likely than he was in 1980 according to the New York Times.

The American of today seems more likely to choose prayer than a Chiropractor than he was 25 years ago and more likely to get news and information from the Internet than in previous years; no surprise there or in that we seem to be spending more quality time alone being entertained and informed without human contact.

As a college Freshman in the 1960’s, my objective was to become a cultured man. My choices, a cause of concern to the administration, were a farrago of subjects from Japanese esoteric Buddhism to thermionic devices to structural geology to music theory to Medieval German Literature to aerodynamics to English Romantic poetry. Had I heard the voice ask “quo vadis?” I could not have answered, nor could I today I fear.

Those very few who admitted to being business majors in my day had few friends and little respect. In 1970, a whopping 79% of freshmen gave their educational goal as “developing a meaningful philosophy of life.” Last year, 75% asserted that their objective was to get rich.

Still, the ratio of men to women obtaining professional degrees 35 years ago was about 15 to 1 versus today’s nearly 50:50. The number of woman doctors has doubled. It’s hard for a curmudgeon to see anything but progress in that, but still I wonder about how many of these newly degreed young men and women could tell you the differences between Soka Gakkai and Nichiren Shoshu or describe a beam power tetrode or quote Roswitha von Gandersheim.

And I alone have escaped to tell thee.

3 comments:

Crankyboy said...

"It’s hard for a curmudgeon to see anything but progress in that.."

Um, progress? More chicks working and not at home cooking and cleaning while wearing lingerie? And you call this progress?

Anonymous said...

"but still I wonder about how many of these newly degreed young men and women could tell you the differences between Soka Gakkai and Nichiren Shoshu or describe a beam power tetrode or quote Roswitha von Gandersheim."

Ouch! When you throw a punch, it's a hard one...

Capt. Fogg said...

Yes, indeed. I'm throwing the punch at myself. Useless knowledge is my specialty.