Saturday, May 17, 2008

Good ol' boy in Gucchi loafers

As much as I like living in small towns - and I do live in one - I must be out of touch with small town America; at least insofar as Karl Rove is being honest and genuine. (feel free to snicker.)

Karl has taken it upon himself, as a true man of the people and judge of patriots, to point out to a meeting of the National Rifle Association yesterday, that Barak Obama is out of touch with the people one needs to be in touch with in order to be the chief executive of the United States, Commander in Chief of the armed forces and representative of our country to the world at large. I must be out of touch because I am, given the chance, going to vote for Barak Obama. I own a number of firearms and learned to shoot when I was 10. I'm an outdoorsman who once had a farm, doesn't drive imported cars or drink Zima and is often seen dining with the local fisherman and bikers at the local tavern. I'm a Democrat. I'm educated. I don't support the NRA. I don't believe in faith.

Rove, whose neck is only red when he ventures out of his burrow, lives in a brand new palatial home in Florida and has spent most of his life promoting the interests of the very powerful to the detriment of truth, justice and what we'd like to call the American Way -- as well as to the detriment of the interests of the people he is now pandering and condescending to by insisting that Barak Obama is a panderer.

Convoluted? Sure, but that's Karl Rove. Karl, whose name has become synonymous with mean, ugly and dirty politics recently advised Obama
"Americans want to see you scrapping and fighting for the job, not in a mean or ugly way but in a forceful and straightforward way."
One has to wonder at the twisted and hidden paths Rove sees as the high road.

Karl, of course isn't exactly the hunting, shooting outdoorsman he was condescending to at the National Rifle Association Convention, and much less is he the God, Guns and Guts kind of a guy I'm familiar with in rural Florida. His face isn't tanned. I'm sure he doesn't wear camo boxer shorts or drink Budweiser or shoot pool with the boys after he punches out for the day. I'm sure he doesn't drive a 'pickemup' with Jesus stickers or gripe about them Jews driving up the price of gas or the Mexicans stealing his livelihood or the mill he works for shipping jobs to India. So it's a bit hard to see him as anything other than the manipulative, propagandizing, phony, lying, condescending, pandering bastard who has been sucking up to the power elite since he had hair.

By suggesting that the political opinions of what he calls "small town Americans" are what is and should be the policies of the United States, he's suggesting the kind of dictatorship of the proletariat that would have him screaming Marxism like a crazed parakeet if any Democrat had said it, and by categorizing the vast majority of us who live in urban or metropolitan areas as unAmerican by virtue of education and affluence he proves himself to be little more than an opportunist looking to rise above the masses by standing on their backs.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i guess i am still wondering why 'common folk' still believe that politicians are 'one of them'- i mean it's almost like "groundhog day" every election cycle- or "100 first dates" (whichever amnesia movie you prefer). folks seem genuinely surprised that the upper crust, harvard or yale educated, never really worked a day in their lives candidates don't carry on the will of the people. and they continue to vote on the advice of people like rove or limbaugh- who clearly, clearly have their best interests at heart. (snark level orange) actually, these 'common folk' tend to vote clinton- for reasons outlined on the daily show.

billie said...

sorry- blogger was giving me fits- i posted the above comment

Buffalo said...

What do you expect from these wannabe kings (and queens)?

Capt. Fogg said...

I prefer not to invest any credence in the idea that we are divided into these convenient groups in the first place. I think I've met as many huntin', shootin', fishin' folk in town, country or suburban shopping mall as anywhere else and I meet liberal minded intellectuals at my favorite biker bar and nearby shooting range. I know more wealthy racists and bigots and small minded bastards then I can give the finger to, but the same goes for all kinds of people. I've been poor, I've been rich and I don't think either made me unable to see the other guy's viewpoint anyway.

Yes, the irony of these Brooks Brothers bureaucrats posing as the ones who really understand the hardships of life is disgusting to behold, but that they get rich from it is more so.

Georg said...

Bonjour Capt. Fogg,

Well, Karl Rove is known internationally, even here in France.He seems to make his living by producing lies during your election campaigns.

On the other hand, he is certainly not the only one in this business.

Georg