Friday, August 22, 2008

The Birth of Rock & Roll?


On a lighter note -- and can't we all use one -- Brian at World Gone Mad seems to be running a contest for the oldest Rock & Roll tune anyone can remember. OK, I was only 6 at the time, but Jackie Brenston and the Delta Cats' Rocket 88 from 1951, which later made the charts with Jerry Lee Lewis' cover is it for me. That's the one I remember and Jerry Lee still makes me fire on all 8 cylinders.

Blue's fans like me have have a hard time determining just when Rock & Roll emerged from the womb and although Rocket 88 seems to be a favorite of a majority of musicologists, some pick Elvis' That's All Right Mama (1954). I don't care actually, I'd rather listen to Son House or Robert Johnson, but of all the later covers, Jerry Lee's version actually put me in the drivers' seat. Actually thinking about anything by Jerry; thinking about an open car and a country road makes my right foot feel heavy. Get in the back seat and let's go . . . .

6 comments:

Libby Spencer said...

Oh my. This will be a tough one to beat. I think you're winning Fogg.

Capt. Fogg said...

I love those oldies. Bo Diddley, Little Richard, Chuck Berry. Watching the surf in the moonlight as you cruise an empty A1A, the wind in your hair.

It takes me back to the days when I thought the world was just as it should be because I didn't know any better.

Anonymous said...

well, we're really not looking for the oldest rock n roll, although its great to hear it. Just looking for the GOOD rock n roll from any era.

But it looks like the way its turning out, we're gonna start early and work up to late.

Chris the Hippie said...

An interesting question! I've always liked Buddy Holly, but he came after a few others.

Baltazar said...

Bill Hally and Rock Around The Clock was first but he couldn't follow it up.

Marty said...

Never heard this one. I like it. I was born back then, but still in training panties.

btw...thanks for visiting The Homefront.