Saturday, October 21, 2006

Culpa na Brazil

I’m glad I don’t live in Brazil.  Sure, I love the music and the food and I’ve always wanted to explore the Amazon, but who would want to live in a country that can hold a man on false charges without trial for thirteen years – essentially ruining his life and health?

Marcos Mariano da Silva, currently 58, spent 13 years in what was apparently a rather unpleasant prison although there never was any investigation of his alleged crime and no trial or judicial process.  Marcos was never given a chance to defend himself.  He was released only after an investigation by prison authorities which showed that da Silva, who has gone blind and contracted tuberculosis in prison was arrested without cause.

I’m glad that I live in the United States, under the benign rule of his majesty George II under whose just rule this could never happen because the investigation would never happen. 13 years of torture and isolation and hopelessness would long since have silenced him.

1 comment:

Ponnarasi Kothandaraman said...

Hi
Nice post! :)
First time here and you have a nice blog too...